I made this school uniform to a charity auction at Stamford American International School (SAIS Singapore) by order. The customer provided an old original school polo shirt and a pleated skirt.
A friend of mine gave me a a white and red striped knit fabric to make piping. Thus, when I made piping itself, I had to be very careful with cutting and sewing so that white ends of piping were not visible in the finished uniform. As clearly visible on the photo above, I had to baste piping twice: first – two layers together, then – the basted piping peace to uniform details. Because I usually sew without any basting, this was challenging.
Further, factories use industrial sewing machines for sewing original school uniforms. But I don’t have one, so I used my domestic sewing machine, and it really didn’t “like” the uniform fabric! As the uniform has curved lines, I had not only baste the piping, but the whole details as well before the top-stitches.
And I was very limited in time…
Therefore I was really tired with the order and swore myself never repeat it again! 🙂
On the other hand, the finished school uniform looks amazing due to the excellent detailisation.
The real uniform has no closure at the back.
But I never try on doll clothes over their heads. Poor my Caroline, whose hair was tousled during testing a prototype and unfinished polo shirt trying on!
Thus my dolls need a closure at the back, for example, for an easy try on and take off process.
Since I had the original polo shirt, I ripped out its collar, cut out the collar for doll polo shirt from it keeping original edges, and serged back seams of the doll collar. Thus, I could use Velcro as a closure at the shirt back.
After I finished Stamford American International School uniform, I took Caroline to a playground for photoshoot to keep this outfit in memories.