Strapless party dress

When I ordered my Iplehouse Jessica with a large breast I only thought about how wonderful she will look in corset dresses, but didn’t even think how I would sew for her. So sewing for her is a really challenge each time for me!

Taylor-Swift-Miu-Miu-emerald-dress
Taylor Swift in Miu Miu emerald strapless party dress.

When I saw Taylor Swift in a Miu Miu emerald strapless party dress, I decided that Jessica needs such dress so bad. So I started to make a pattern for the dress immediately.

Making the dress pattern

I decided that the easiest way to make the dress pattern faster is to wrap Jessica with a cling wrap, then with masking tape. Next I drew the pattern lines on the wrapping from the masking tape, and after that I carefully cut the wrapping along the central back and the central front lines and took both details off. Then I cut out the future dress details from masking tape. Next I transferred the pattern onto A4 sheet of paper, draw a square with 2 cm edges and scanned the pattern because I prefer electronic patterns.

Another reason to scan the pattern is that after it scanned I could easily check all the pattern lines. Are the dress details “dock” correctly to each other? Are the details edges having the same length for easy connection and sewing?

Also I could make marks on details. These marks help me to sew faster later.

After that I could think how I’m going to sew the dress, what sewing technologies I would use, and add seam allowances relying on these technologies. Next I could print my pattern out.

testing-a-new-pattern-01

Usually it’s enough for me to check only electronic pattern. But Jessica has such impressive bust that I didn’t dare to sew the dress without testing the pattern once more.

Testing the pattern

testing-a-new-pattern-02

I was about to sew Jessica’s dress from cotton, thus I used plain cotton fabric to test the pattern.

I also traced all the marks I made before on the pattern.

Because it was only the dress prototype, I used basting stitch for fast sewing.

That was wonderful that I decided to sew the prototype, because the testing clearly showed to me that the pattern needs some adjustments.

It was not so hard to adjust the electronic pattern and print out the amended version.

testing-a-new-pattern-03

Green strapless dress

I’d sewn this green strapless dress really fast, and then decided to make a golden clutch as Taylor had in her hands, and make a necklace as well.

Next step was to take “celebrities” photos.

Strapless-party-dress-01
Strapless-party-dress-02
Strapless-party-dress-03
Strapless-party-dress-04
Strapless-party-dress-05

I do like how the dress fits Jessica. And I’m about to repeat the dress in other color.

Light blue strapless dress

For the next dress I used Japanese sprigged cotton fabric. The fabric is very dense comparing with the previous one, so dresses look a little bit different.

Blue-strapless-dress-03
Blue-strapless-dress-01
Blue-strapless-dress-02

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *