Steampunk outfits for Ellowyne

Spread the love

I’ve joined to a new game with “Steampunk” theme. I had a dream to sew something in this style for a long time, but I hesitated to join as I had doubts that I have time to sew. Then I’ve joined eventually.

The first step in the game was to collect textile, ribbons, buttons, snaps and other stuff I will use for sewing. I found a black and white fabric in my stash I bought long time ago especially for the steampunk dress. I also found a piece of leather and a black silk I’ll use for a corset, and a white cotton fabric with a narrow white lace for an underskirt.

Textiles

1st steampunk dress

I started sewing from making my own dress pattern for the dress itself and for the corset. When I was happy with the patterns, I sewed a mock up. I had three(!) attempts, because I didn’t keep in mind that I need somehow to put doll palm into the dress sleeve, and got a really narrow sleeve in the first mock up. I amended the pattern, but lost the sleeve length at the second mock up. After amendment, the third mock up turned out great, and I bravely cut out details from the main fabric.

Temp01
1st mock up
Temp02
2nd mock up
Temp03
3rd mock up. Much better, right?

I was so fascinated while sewing that forgot to take pictures during the process and took photos only when I started ironing the dress.

My Taisia (Ellowyne Wilde wigged out) is trying on the almost finished dress. I have to finish a hem and sew buttons yet. But it seems that Taisia looks gratefully at me in her new dress – I haven’t sewn for her in a really long time!

Process01
Process02
Dress

Corset

I sewed the corset from the pure silk. During the process I discovered that I don’t see black thread on the black fabric 🙁 So I had to baste all seams using white thread to see them.

corset-sewing
Sewing process
corset-front
Corset front
corset-almost-done
Almost done

Underskirt

Underskirt-checking-seems
Underskirt-WIP
Underskirt-finished

Hat

hat01
I cut off the hat details from a fusible interfacing and ironed them to a silk.
hat02
Then I sewed side seams on the side crown. Also I basted seams allowance on the top crown.
hat03
I basted the top crown and the side crown together.
hat04
Next, I basted seam line that I would use to sew the side crown and the brim together.
hat05
hat06
I cut off a piece of silk, put it face to face with the brim’s detail and sewed together on the outer edge.
hat07
Then I sewed a wire close to the outer edges’ seam.
hat08
I cut away seams allowances near the outer edge, made notches, cut off a circle inside the detail.
hat09
I turned the brim right side out, basted the edges and the future seam with the side crown.
hat10
I pinned the side crown and the brim face to face.
hat11
Then I decorated the hat. Voila!
hat12
Then I decorated the hat. Voila!

The final photoshoot

1_1_01
1_1_02
1_1_03
1_1_04
1_05
2_03
2_01
2_02
04
06
07
08
05
details01
details02
details03
details04

2nd steampunk outfit

After 1st successful steampunk outfit, I decided to sew another one and was so inspired that sewed it in two days!

This outfit is very simple. It consists of a corset with lacing at the back and a skirt. The skirt is short in front and has 3 layers of different length at the back.

1_01
1_02
1_03
1_04

2nd photoshoot

01
02
03
Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.