Doll mannequin

Mannequin for doll clothes

Share

I’ve decided to sew a few outfits for my Iplehouse Jessica. This means that I would have to use my doll every time I want to try clothes on her. But, firstly, Jessica is big and quite heavy and it is not very convenient for me to use her. Secondly, I afraid of making scratches on her body with pins. What to do in this situation? I’ve decided that I need a doll mannequin!

I have done an extensive research about dressmakers mannequins. I know the technology with duck tape and polyurethane foam because a friend of mine used this technology for her own foam mannequin around 6-7 years ago. But I don’t know where to buy polyurethane foam in a country where I live now. I found only some silicon hermetic but in this case doll dress form would be like a jelly and it’s not suitable for sewing. Also, floating measurements in mm are not fatal for people but may be fatal for dolls especially if I sew corsets.

Ok, so I decided to make the doll mannequin using the papier mache technology.

Making mannequin front part.

First of all, I protected Jessica’s body with cling wrap, then put tape on future seams and marked them. This was really pointless (to mark seams – not to protect the doll!) as I’ realized later.

no images were found

Then I mixed white glue and water in 1:1 proportion. I used a newspaper for first layer. I tore small pieces of newspaper, dunk them into water and glue mix and then glued to Jessica’s body (as you remember it was protected by cling wrap).

no images were found

I let the newspaper layer dry. Then I used toilet paper for the second layer. I tore pieces from toilet paper and separated toilet paper layers. So I got very thin pieces of paper.

no images were found

I made 8 layers of paper and I think this is enough for a doll mannequin. Because it takes time for layers to dry, it took more than a week to make all 8 layers!

no images were found

Then I took this billet off. I didn’t bother about the edges because I knew I would cut them off. As you can see I drew future side seam on the billet.

no images were found

Making dress form back.

What did I do next? Just repeated all steps on Jessica’s back :)

no images were found

Assembling the dressmakers mannequin.

When I got two billets, one from the front and another one from the back, I cut off the edges and glued both billets together on shoulder and side seams.

no images were found

Then I drew the waist, the hip and the neck lines and cut the edges off again. I cut out the armholes as well.

no images were found

After that I cut two circles from a cardboard – to fit the bottom of the mannequin and the neck hole.

no images were found

I glued the bottom and the neck circles to their places. Now my mannequin looked more tidy. Next I was going to glue it on a candlestick so I really needed the bottom for the mannequin. :)

no images were found

Ok, here it is.

no images were found

no images were found

I can use my doll mannequin now. But, firstly, I’m about to sew a cover from calico and, secondly, glue it to a candlestick.

2 thoughts on “Mannequin for doll clothes

  • A great idea to make the mannequin like this because yes, those SD sized dolls are heavy and cumbersome to carry about. I never thought to use papermache although I have done the clingfilm and masking tape method to make patterns.
    I look forward to seeing you mannequin finished!

    • Thank you Sharon for your wishes! I’ve already bought a candlestick and also hope to finish my mannequin soon.

      I afraid to use the doll body for masking tape method because I’m worry about scratches. Also I haven’t find good quality masking tape :)

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share
Share